Parents, don’t forget about YOU

Posted on Updated on

As parents we live for our kids. We eat, sleep and breath kids. Think about it, we watch their television shows, eat the foods they like and hang out at the places they like to hang out. Seriously,not so long ago I found myself preferring cartoons over movies with real people in them.

Being a parent is the most important job we’ll have but we can’t forget about ourselves. There’s nothing wrong with have a little “me time.” As a matter of fact, a lack there of can lead to crankiness, being moody or just being too emotional. NEWS FLASH….WE’RE NOT ROBOTS. If we don’t take care of ourselves we can’t do a very good job of taking care of someone else.

I took my own advice yesterday and went to a networking event. There was music, food, story swapping and a peace of mind. Going to that event reminded me that I don’t have to give up my life to give my son a good one.

At the Boss Network Event.        At the Boss Network event

At the Boss Network event

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Parents, don’t forget about YOU

Matt said:
    September 3, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Thank you for the follow and also for the reminder! Time off never hurts.

A.B.L.G.O responded:
      September 3, 2014 at 10:00 pm

We have to take care of ourselves so that we can take care of our children.

Day 4: Relationships | coping with ASD said:
    September 3, 2014 at 11:25 pm

[…] together time as possible and support each other no matter what. And as I’ve been reminded by A.B.L.G.O we need to take care of ourselves as […]

karenwatchorn said:
    September 4, 2014 at 6:47 am

I totally get this. I knew it was our 15th anniversary today but kept putting it at the bottom of my “to do” list. Felt like a real loser this morning 😦 Must pay more attention to the rest of life!

A.B.L.G.O responded:
      September 4, 2014 at 8:27 am

Definitely not a loser, just a busy person. Happy Anniversary!

Deb said:
    September 8, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Thanks for the reminder to take time for me. Kids can really take up all the rent space in my head.
    You look great in your black dress too.

A.B.L.G.O responded:
      September 8, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Thanks! We all need a reminder every now and then to take care of ourselves so that we can take care of our kids.